For the first time we finally managed to sneak into the famous NME award night (paying our ticket obviously) at the O2 Brixton Academy, one of our all time favorite venue of London.
We were there to see some live music from Royal Blood andThe Vaccines, during the ceremony more artists came on stage such Charlie XCX and Run the Jewels before the “grand finale” of Suede.
- Royal Blood – Figure It Out
While we enjoyed the show we had a lot of debate on who should have won the main awards.
As you might have read around, Jamie T. Kasabian and Royal Blood were the winners overall. So, in pure spirit of playing around, here’s the “The Liberation/NME awards list” here’s the list of the ones we agreed with NME readers:
- Best British Band – Kasabian (we all agree on this one)
- Best Album – Kasabian
- Best Track – Zombie from Jamie T
- Best New Band – Royal Blood
- Best Festival – Glastonbury
And here’s the list of the ones we would have voted differently (you might recognize some patterns…):
- Greatest Music Moment of the Year – The Libertines reunite should have won vs. the return of Jamie T
- Best Live Band – we love and understand all the hype about Royal Blood, but in our opinion the Libs are still a different class
- Best Solo Artist – same as above, there’s a world of difference today between Jake Bugg and Jack White. We would have voted for the latter
Suede delivered a nice 5 song set show spanning across some of their biggest hits and a new song deserving fully their Godlike Genius Award
Some good speeches: the best one Jimmy Page, funnies – Jake Bugg (never been very good at speeches, because I never won awards), loudest – Kasabian (right Serge?)
Now, we are left with a bunch of musical films and movies to watch, some books to read and loads of good memories from the night.
Anyway, it was a funny night, and an enjoyable show, here’s the video of the highlights
Keep on rockin in a free world
ps. we won an award as well for the Liberation – best Swiss based indie rock blog…